Monday, November 17, 2008

2008: A Year in Review

What better way to renew this blog?

Two points I'd like to make:

(1) The chick flicks are my girlfriend's fault.

(2) I used to go to the movies a lot more than I do now.

With that said, here are my categorical rankings of the movies I've seen*

Best of the Best

The Dark Knight

Bale was good, Ledger was better. Gyllenhaal was terrible, but better than Holmes (and I'm guessing it wasn't the worst perfromance of the year from that family).

Potential Oscar Buzz?

Changeling

It's Eastwood; it's glum; it's got everyone's favorite celebrity couple actress.

Just Sit Back and Enjoy

Iron Man
In Bruges
Quantum of Solace
Charlie Bartlett

A superhero, two Irish hitmen, James Bond, and Max Fischer-meets-Ferris Bueller. Movies don't always have to be "films," right?

Not as Pretentious as You Might Think

Smart People

The characters, however, define pretense.

Sequels That Mar Their Predecessors' Legacy

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Starship Troopers: Marauders

Harold and Kumar was at least funny. Indy should have opted to kick it on a beach somewhere with a Holy Grail full of pina coladas. And I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I NetFlixed the last one.

Nothing in Common Except They Were Terrible

21
Cassandra's Dream

Granted, the latter had no chance. Woody Allen movies are predisposed to be "ho hum," and what are the odds that Colin Farrell appears in two good movies in the same year?

Because I Love my Girlfriend

Definitely, Maybe
Baby Mama
What Happens in Vegas
Sex and the City

Yeah, come take my man card, tough guy.

DEVELOPING...

*I'm using wide release dates as the qualification for "2008 Movies"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web stats analysis