Monday, January 15, 2007

Revisiting the 2006 Oscars...

We're nearing time for the 2007 Oscar nominations, so since I hadn't really seen many of the contenders at the time of the 2006 ceremony, I figured why not look back at the list a year later?

Note: I went 2 for 6 in my predictions.

Best Actor

Nominees: Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote," Terrence
Howard in "Hustle & Flow," Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain," Joaquin Phoenix in "Walk the Line," David Strathairn in "Good Night, and Good
Luck."
Won: Hoffman

Should have won?: I can't disagree. In fact I'll go so far as to say that he lapped the field. Phoenix and Howard were good, while I didn't see anything special about Ledger or Straithairn.

Best Supporting Actor

Nominees: George Clooney in "Syriana," Matt Dillon in "Crash," Paul Giamatti in "Cinderella Man," Jake Gyllenhaal in "Brokeback Mountain," William Hurt in "A History of Violence"
Won: Clooney

Should have won?: Clooney wasn't a bad choice, but I'm still partial to Giamatti. Gyllenhaal was awful. AWFUL.

Best Actress

Nominees: Judi Dench in "Mrs. Henderson Presents," Felicity Huffman in "Transamerica," Keira Knightley in "Pride & Prejudice," Charlize Theron in "North Country," Reese Witherspoon in "Walk the Line"
Won: Witherspoon

Should have won?: I'll be honest; I still never saw three of the nominees (nor may I ever). But as much as I love Kiera Knightley (and loved Pride and Prejudice), I think Witherspoon was the right choice.

Best Supporting Actor

Nominees: Amy Adams in "Junebug," Catherine Keener in "Capote," Frances McDormand in "North Country," Rachel Weisz in "The Constant Gardener," Michelle Williams in "Brokeback Mountain
Won: Adams

Should have Won?: Good field, but I agree with the pick, and I'm glad she won, or else I may never have seen the delightful Junebug.

Best Director

Nominees: "Brokeback Mountain," Ang Lee; "Capote," Bennett Miller; "Crash," Paul Haggis; "Good Night, and Good Luck," George Clooney; "Munich," Steven Spielberg
Won: Lee

Should have Won?: Tough call. I think Miller did a great job, though Lee showed flashes of brilliance in his b-grade movie. And a year later, having seen it again, I think I was unfairly critical of Spielberg's effort. It was much better than I originally gave it credit.

Best Picture

Nominees: "Brokeback Mountain," "Capote," "Crash," "Good Night, and Good Luck," "Munich"
Won: Crash

Should have won?: Capote. Period. But in retrospect I think I've elevated Munich to number two (at least from the available choices). Brokeback and Good Night have no business in the discussion.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what planet you get you information from but Rachel Weisz won the Oscar and in my opinion, she deserved it.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Drew said...

Damn, that's right. Not sure why I thought Adams won. Weisz was very good as she always is (and deserving), but I thought Adams was something special.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web stats analysis