Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Danish Girl

The Danish Girl (2015)
Einar Wegener (Eddie Redmayne) lives and works as a painter in 1920's Copenhagen alongside his wife and fellow artist, Gerda (Alicia Vikander). Their lives take a turn when Einar realizes his true nature as a woman - Lili Elbe - and begins a path as one of the earliest known transgendered pioneers.
My Two Cents: Redmayne and Vikander give powerful performances in a film that tackles a topical subject without the sideshow that has accompanied certain contemporary personalities. Its characterization of two journeys - paying equal respect to both Lili and Gerda - provide balance to a compelling story.

My Alternate Two Cents: Alicia Vikander is simply enchanting, and this bohemian portrayal suits her. Behind my wife (I love you, honey!) Ms. Vikander has my current vote as Earth's most beautiful woman.

Drew's rating: 8/10

Further Thought:

I was disappointed to learn that the film largely fictionalizes the real Lile and Gerda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web stats analysis