Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Science of Sleep

The Science of Sleep (2006)

A timid young man can't control the fantastical plots and images of his dream world from intruding into his waking hours in Michel Gondry's science-fiction romance. After a promising new job sours, Stephane (Gael Garcia Bernal) finds new inspiration in his neighbor Stephanie (Charlotte Gainsbourg). To connect with her, shy Stephane releases the bolder personality of his dreams, but his waking insecurities threaten to destroy the relationship.
My Two Cents: The confluence of fantasy with reality makes it easy to overlook that these eccentic characters lead profoundly normal lives, and that I found endearing. This is a film that's instantly re-watchable.

NetFlix Rank: Really Liked It
IMDB Rank: 8/10

Further thoughts:

I give up. I liked this a lot, but I can't even begin to explain why. No adjective fits. "Surreal" is too cliched, and "quirky" is too pedestrian. I suppose I'll just have to watch it again. And maybe again after that. It'll come to me eventually. Until then I'll settle for its endearing outlandishness, and Gainsbourg, who I found oddly charming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web stats analysis